Stanley H. Durwood Soccer Stadium and Recreational Field
This stadium provides our school athletes, students and community groups with one of the top soccer facilities in the Summit League and the Midwest. Moreover, this amenity adds to the growing residential feel of the UMKC campus. The gift from the Durwood Foundation and its trustees allowed the construction of this stadium and is another in their long history of supporting a variety of UMKC initiatives.
UMKC programs, intramural athletes and approved community sports teams have access to this soccer, softball and track facility.
- There is seating for 850, locker rooms and offices, concession areas and an outdoor track.
- The new UMKC Women’s soccer team began utilizing the practice field when the stadium opened in 2009.
- The stadium greatly enhances opportunities to recruit and retain outstanding soccer student-athletes.
- Stan Durwood was one of the University’s and the athletic program’s strongest supporters, and he helped establish an endowed scholarship for UMKC student-athletes. The Durwood Educational Fund provides scholarships, equipment and some travel expenses, enabling UMKC to compete at a high intercollegiate level.
- The Stanley H. Durwood Foundation pledge of $5 million is the largest single commitment ever made to UMKC Athletics.
- The site for the stadium replaced the outdoor track west of Swinney Recreation Center.
- Awards in Durwood’s name are given each year to the male and female student athlete with the highest GPAs.